Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Every Leaf Must Change It's Color (Fall '13)

























01. John Jacob Niles "John Henry"
02. Molly Drake "Happiness"
03. Julie Bo "Sø Momon"
04. Vashti Bunyan "I'd Like To Walk Around In Your Mind"
05. Connie Converse "How Sad, How Lovely"
06. Asa Irons & Swann Miller "How Sad, How Lovely"
07. Tiny Tim "Alice Blue Gown"
08. Bob Desper "Let It Shine For You"
09. Sharon Van Etten "I Wish I Knew"
10. John Fahey "Requiem for John Hurt"
11. Monarch Jazz Quartet of Norfolk "What's the Matter Now?"
12. Bo Carter "Baby, How Can It Be?"
13. Hank Williams "Thy Burdens Are Greater Than Mine"
14. Leonard Cohen "I Tried to Leave You"
15. Angel Olsen & Marissa Nadler "My Dreams Have Withered & Died"
16. Michael Hurley "The Tea Song"
17. Charley Patton "Jim Lee, Pt. 1"

HEAR

STREAM at Mixcloud

A little premature, sure, but I couldn't wait to toss this one up. Nothing beats creek-side fires, blankets and mulled wine warmed by the flames. I could go on for days about all the reasons I love fall. Music is certainly a big player and I've already played this mix to death. It's not a Halloween mix, but it's definitely got it's share of ghosts. John Jacob Niles is as close as you're going to get to hearing a voice from beyond, Julie Bo is straight from a dream, Fahey's 'Requiem for John Hurt' nearly conjures up the man himself, and though I'm not a fan of Nick Drake, damned if his mother Molly doesn't give me chills. This isn't all one-way road though, you'll still get a little fun from folks like Tiny Tim (yes, that Tiny Tim), Monarch Jazz Quartet of Norfolk, and my favorite dirty bluesman, Bo Carter (being sweet for once!).

This time, it's bourbon, neat, and lots of it.

Note: The cover is taken from a photo by William Eggleston

No comments:

Post a Comment