Wednesday, September 13, 2017
01. Vera Ward Hall "I Been Drinking"
02. Memphis Minnie "Frankie Jean"
03. The Carter Family "I Ain't Gonna Work Tomorrow"
04. Paul Clayton "Gotta Travel On"
05. Blaze Foley "Clay Pigeons"
06. Kris Kristofferson "Sunday Mornin' Comin' Down"
07. Vernon Wray "Lonely Son"
08. Dennis Cheplick "Deception"
09. Rocky Erickson "Right Track Now"
10. Maxine Funke "Beneath"
11. Alastair Galbraith "Slavery"
12. Bobby Brown "In Search of a Dream"
13. Palace Music "The Weaker Soldier"
14. Dino Valente "Shame On You Babe"
15. The Garbage and the Flowers "Love Comes Slowly Now"
16. Caetano Veloso "Cucurrucucú Paloma"
A year overdue hour of tunes to lead you into the cool months. Lace up the boots, bring the plants inside, ditch the ice for a kettle and settle into a long book. What more is there to say that I haven't said ten times over? This is the season. Put the tunes on and have a nice day.
Stream at MixCloud
Thursday, August 18, 2016
01. Fuentes All Stars "Pégale a la Nalga"
02. Dérobé Dance Band "Kem Dahg"
03. Billy Davies "Stanky
04. Bill Moss "Number One"
05. The Supremes "Your Heart Belongs To Me"
06. William Onyeabor "Atomic Bomb"
07. Formulars Dance Band "Never Never Let Me Down"
08. Franco "Tcha Tcha Tcha De Mi Amor"
09. Denzil Laing Trio "Not Me"
10. Joseph Spence "Don't Take Everybody To Be Your Friend"
11. S.E. Rogie "Man Stupid Being"
12. Costa Azul "La Tanga Carioca"
13. Teferi Felleqe "Kèlkeyelegn"
14. The Andrews Sisters "Rum & Coca-Cola"
15. John 'Buddy' Williams "She 'Pon Top"
Sweat Sweat Sweat Sweat / Colombia / USA / USA / USA / USA / Nigeria / Nigeria / Congo / Jamaica / Bahamas / Sierra Leone / Peru / Ethiopia / USA / Trinidad / Rain Rain Rain Rain. Some kind of summer. Dreaming of something sunny & lush. Something dry. Dancing in the AC, comfortable & boring.
Sipping: straight black tea
Cover Image: Charles O'Rear - Church near Hana, HI, 1973 (Cropped)
Sunday, June 26, 2016
01. Frank Sinatra Jr. "Black Night"
02. Della Reese "Daddy"
03. Billy 'The Kid' Emerson "The Whip Pt. 1"
04. Ferry Rock Barendse "Rock & Roll Mops"
05. King Coleman "Down in the Basement"
06. Sam the Sham & the Pharaohs "You Can't Turn Me Off"
07. The Clovers "One Mint Julep"
08. The Miracles "Broken Hearted"
09. Fontella Bass "Poor Little Fool"
10. Marti Shannon "Little Bird"
11. Julie London "I Miss You So"
12. Nat King Cole "Quizas, Quizas, Quizas"
13. The Lewis Sisters "What Is This Thing Called Love"
14. Rosemary Clooney "Come On A-My House"
15. France Gall "J'Entends Cette Musique"
16. Mahalia Jackson "My Story"
17. Blackrock "Yeah Yeah"
18. Sinn Sisamouth "Under the Sound of Rain"
19. The Original Brothers "Black Out"
20. Deek Watson & the Brown Dots "At Our Fireplace"
21. Seyfou Yohannes "Yekermo Sew"
22. Tarheel Slim & Little Ann "I Just Can't Stay Away"
Here's one for nights spent laying under a fan that's never blowin' hard enough. Waking up early to get things done before the heat hits but staying out late after it breaks. This is a good one for playing while serving friends highballs and fruit. We aren't in an all-out pool-side sweat-zone yet, but we're on our way.
Sipping: cucumber / lemon / rosemary / gin
Cover Image: from a Moriz Jung postcard
Saturday, May 21, 2016
01. Lance LeGault "(Good Deal) Keeping Man"
02. Garland Jeffreys "Wild in the Streets"
03. Wand Davis "Save Me"
04. Kathy Heidiman "Sleep A Million Years"
05. Elyse Weinberg "Mortuary Bound"
06. Bobbie Gentry "Papa, Won't You Let Me Go to Town With You"
07. Suzi Jane Hokom "Same Old Songs"
08. Frankie Laine "Jezebel"
09. Tammy Montgomery "If You Don't Think"
10. Willie Tomlin "Stroke My Yoke"
11. Jimmy McCracklin "The Walk"
12. Link Wray "The Coca Cola Sign Blinds My Eyes"
13. Norman Greenbaum "School for Sweet Talk"
14. Karin Krog "All I Want"
15. Jim Sullivan "So Natural"
16. The High Spirits "I Believe"
17. Tommy Flanders "Purple & Blue"
18. Dion "Daddy Rollin' (In Your Arms)"
19. Mary Deloach "Our Father Loves His Son"
A new hour for driving hometown back-roads with windows down, chilling beers in the creek, sitting in trees and tending fires. It's been rainy but you can feel it's about to break. There's not much more to it than that.
Sunday, December 20, 2015
01. Garnet Mimms "Baby Don't You Weep"
02. The Four Tops "Call On Me"
03. Brenton Wood "Me & You"
04. Jimmy Hughes "Steal Away"
05. Ann Peebles "Walk Away"
06. Ray Allen & the Upbeats "Let Them Talk"
07. The Class Mates "You Can Do Me Some Good"
08. Smiley Lewis "The Bells Are Ringing"
09. Duke Ellington "Jeep's Blues"
10. The Penguins "Jingle Jangle"
11. Louis Prima "Buona Sera"
12. Louis Jordan "Is You Is or Is You Ain't (Ma' Baby)"
13. Ambrose & His Orchestra "Just One More Chance"
14. Lloyd Price "Stagger Lee"
15. McKinley Mitchell "I Found An Angel"
16. Solomon Burke "If You Need Me"
17. Otis Redding & Carla Thomas "New Year's Resolution"
18. The Van Dykes "No Man is An Island"
19. The Orioles "(It's Gonna Be A) Lonely Christmas"
20. Jo Stafford "No Other Love"
21. France Gall "J'Entends Cette Musique"
22. Lester Young "I Don't Stand a Ghost of a Chance With You"
23. Cults Percussion Ensemble "Polymers"
It's been a strange December in Ohio. Before the sun dips down in the late afternoon it blazes bright and keeps things feeling like Spring. It's offputting but pleasant. Regardless of temperature, December is always a time to bundle up in the dark, drink warm things, and scootch closer to each other. It's a good time for some songs like these. Doo woppin', crooney, jazzy tunes. Coming out with a bang from Garnet Mimms, getting romantic and woozy only to kick up with the rollicking Louis Prima bouncing off some sweet New Orleans style jams. Winter has its ups and downs. This one is nostalgic in an oldies radio station kind of way, with one extra filter step. Sounds best on crackling speakers.
DL or Stream at MixCloud
Wednesday, October 14, 2015
01. The Kinks "Death of a Clown"
02. Lou Reed "Crazy Feeling"
03. Michael Hurley "Grand Canyon Line"
04. John & Beverly Martyn "John the Baptist"
05. Dragging an Ox Through Water "Sparrow Command"
06. Ted Lucas "Baby Where You Are"
07. Red Krayola "Save the House"
08. Ed Askew "Mr. Dream"
09. C.C. "Worn"
10. Little Wings "The Shredder"
11. Bulbous Creation "End of the Page"
12. Eric Chenaux "Have I Lost My Eyes?"
13. Jim Sullivan "Roll Back the Time"
14. Dave Bixby "Free Indeed"
15. Jackson C. Frank "Kimbie"
16. Loren Mazzacane Connors & Kath Bloom "Window"
17. Washington Phillips "Lift Him Up That's All"
I'm usually so excited to get a fall mix together that I have it done sometime in August. This year started around the same time but has dragged. I'm busier lately than I think I've ever been and it kept getting pushed back. Every time I looked at the playlist it felt like it was the same tired tracks as always. Another bummer, low-key fall mix that bores people and makes the record-heads roll their eyes. But fuck it, throwing this on makes me feel good. There ain't much more to it than that. Do what ya will.
STREAM at Mixcloud
Currently sipping: Boulevardiers
Cover image: Henri Cartier-Bresson 'Henri Matisse, Vence, France, 1944'
Tuesday, July 7, 2015
01. Ray Stinnett "Libery Train"
02. Howard Nishioka "Carnivourous Dogaramus"
03. Sheriff "I Don't Really Love You"
04. The Wildcats "What Are We Gonna Do in '64?"
05. Kim & the Skippers "Daybreaker"
06. Leon Mach "You Hurt Me So"
07. The Electro-Tones "Ghost Train"
08. Crushed Butler "Love is All Around Me"
09. The Kinks "I'm Not Like Everybody Else"
10. Brian Eno "I'll Come Running"
11. Arp "Pulsars e Quasars"
12. A Raincoat "Making Me Nervous"
13. Leonard Cohen "Memories'
14. Biff Rose "Annie"
15. Charlotte Walters "Angel of Sin"
16. Psychic TV "The Orchids"
17. Lou Reed "Street Hassle: Waltzing Matilda/Street Hassle/Slipaway"
Another quarter of the year has passed and so here comes a new set of tunes. Things seem to be moving increasingly fast these days, creating pile ups of things good and bad so it's nice to take a moment and drop out with some good vibes. This mix isn't as sweltering as some of the past summer mixes (the usual calypso/rocksteady/etc. mix is still forthcoming) but really it hasn't been much of a summer here anyway. It's been a rainy one and it seems as though I've had barely a moment outdoors yet. So here's one for the insides, I guess. As seems to be the standard, this one has got equal parts goofy, stumbling songsmiths (Ray Stinnett, Biff Rose) and wild flower-eye'd pop (the Wildcats, Kim & The Skippers) sandwiched between old killers (The Kinks) and new players (Arp). A person favorite is the Sheriff song, which sounds like something from an 80s movie with a roller coaster in it. Also, shout out to Alex Ross Parry and his great film "Listen Up Philip" which turned me on to the painfully obscure and wonderful band A Raincoat. Clsing things up, there's even a nice late 70s/early 80s double-headed slow tick-tock'r in the form of Psychic TV's the Orchid going into Lou Reed's Street Hassle. Leaving you on a bummer, as usual. Anyway, here's hoping you find something to love in here.
STREAM at Mixcloud
Currently sipping: americanos (both the espresso drink & the cocktail)
Cover image: John Baldessari 'Throwing Three Balls in the Air to Get a Straight Line (Best of Thirty-Six Attempts)'  (Cropped)
Wednesday, April 1, 2015
01. Sylvie Vartan "Comme Un Garçon"
02. Thane Russal "Drop Everything & Run"
03. The Kan-Dells "Cry Girl"
04. The Bachs "Pleasure of Your Company"
05. The Carltons "Hey, Mr. Lonesome"
06. Jim Sullivan "U.F.O."
07. Annette Peacock "Love Me Tender"
08. Van Morrison "Fair Play"
09. Christine McVie "I'd Rather Go Blind"
10. Terry Reid "Stay With Me Baby"
11. Tony Ashley & The Delicates "All Along I've Loved You"
12. Carl Thomas "B-A-B-Y"
13. The Jackson 5 "Who's Lovin' You"
14. The Chieftones (Canada's All Indian Band) "I Shouldn't Have Did What I Done"
15. John & Beverly Martyn "Sweet Honesty"
16. Bob Desper "The World is Crying For Love"
17. Roy Orbison "In Dreams"
Finally time to break the seal, crack the windows, lay around the porch with a good book, maybe even grill a little somethin' special. I couldn't be happier to see another bleak-ass Ohio winter finally break. All is well and soon enough we'll be at the park for hours on end and complaining about the sweat. Until then here's a new hour of tunes! Old favorites (that McVie jam has probably gotten more play between us than any other song) and some new burners (how have I gone this long without the Kan-Dells in my life?) You know the drill. This ones got some bump to it. You wouldn't be wrong to just lay around with it but a little grooving wouldn't be out of place. Here's hoping this one does it for ya.
STREAM at Mixcloud
Currently sipping: saisons by the armful (esp. those made by Prairie)
Cover image: Flip Schulke - A Newly Created Park Downtown on Minnesota Street in New Ulm, Minnesota [c. 1975] (Cropped)
Wednesday, December 10, 2014
01. The Shangri-Las "You Cheated, You Lied"
02. Jackie Wilson "To Be Loved"
03. Bing Crosby "Baia"
04. Annisteen Allen & Her Home Town Boys "I Want a Man (Who's Gonna Do Right)"
05. Billy Eckstine "Prisoner of Love"
06. Philip Cohran & The Artistic Heritage Ensemble "Motherhood"
07. Wilson Pickett "It's Too Late"
08. Louis Armstrong "A Kiss to Build a Dream On"
09. John Walker "Woman"
10. Jacky Lee "Young & Dangerous"
11. Clint Blacklaw "Still As The Night"
12. The Ronettes "Keep On Dancing"
13. Peggy Lee "You're My Thrill"
14. Duane Eddy "Loving You"
15. Ethel Ennis "Blue Prelude"
16. Ukulele Ike "(I'm Cryin' 'Cause I Know I'm) Losing You"
17. Johnny Mercer & Jo Stafford "Candy"
18. Donnie & Joe Emerson "Baby"
A real chill has set in and it's giving me an itch for jukebox crooning, dark jazzy lullabies and Spector-ish jangling. Here's a quick hour of some hits that have been warming the walls in these parts. A bit of a lonesome-lover-vibe on this one so here's hoping you don't get too bummed out. Burners like the Jacky Lee jam (the A-side to the killler 45 that brought us 'Misery') should be enough to keep you on the up 'n up. Plus you've got the not-so-lesser-Walker-Brother John's Woman (that'll have you desperately searching for the b-side in no time), the eternally repeatable never-gonna-get-sick-of-of-it Donnie & Joe Emerson's Baby, the beautiful warble of what may be the best version of the 1945 hit Candy from Johnny Mercer & Jo Stafford, and a whole bunch of other tunes to carry you through whatever Holidays you're choosing to celebrate or ignore. Good luck out there.
Currently sipping: ginger tea with lemon, on repeat.
STREAM at Mixcloud
Cover image: Personnel of USS LEXINGTON celebrate Christmas with make-shift decorations and a firefighting, helmeted Santa Claus, 12/1944 from the National Archive.
Friday, October 17, 2014
01. Malvina Reynolds "I Don't Mind Failing"
02. Lal & Mike Waterson "Danny Rose"
03. Pip Proud "Adreneline & Richard"
04. Alexander 'Skip' Spence "Keep Everything Under Your Hat"
05. Lee Hazlewood "Rosacoke Street"
06. Linda Martell "Color Him Father"
07. Frankie Karl & the Dreams "Don't Be Afraid"
08. Jacques Dutronc "L'espace D'une Fille"
09. Françoise Hardy "Voila"
10. Leonard Cohen "Lady Midnight"
11. The Flying Burrito Brothers "Do Right Woman"
12. Karen Dalton "It Hurts Me To"
13. Fairport Convention "The Ballad of Easy Rider"
14. Lewis "Cool Night in Paris"
15. Gram Parsons "She"
16. Doug Sahm & the Sir Douglas Quintet "I Don't Want to Go Home"
17. Gene Clark "White Light"
Well, it's about damn time. If there's one season where I just love making mixes, it's gotta be fall. It's just the best time of year and it's usually my most productive and creativly fueled. Well my tanks been running on fumes lately and this one took me a bit to get right. Here's hoping we've got plenty of Fall left to enjoy. Anyway, this should be a nice and easy driver. A few old favorites, a few left-field gems and a few all-out-belters. It's something to put on when you're drinking afternoon coffee and taking your sweaters out of storage. It pairs well with the heat clicking on at night and those first sweet sips of bourbon.
STREAM at Mixcloud
The cover is taken from the photo 'Hitchhikers, Vicksburg (Vicinity) March, 1936' by Walker Evans
Tuesday, August 26, 2014
01. McKinley Mitchell "The Town I Live In Is Lonely"
02. Doris Troy "What'cha Gonna Do About It?"
03. Brenton Wood "Oogum Boogum Song"
04. Petula Clark "La nuite n'en finit plus"
05. The Hondas "Twelve Feet High"
06. Dolly & the Fashions "The Right One"
07. Sam Cooke "Trouble Blues"
08. Yvone Baker & the Sensations "Eyes"
09. Bo Diddley "The Great Grandfather"
10. Aaron Neville "How Could I Help But Love You"
11. Willie Walker "Warm to Cool to Cold"
12. James Carr "These Ain't Raindrops"
13. Christophe "Aline"
14. Nina Simone "I Want a Little Sugar in My Bowl"
15. Betty LaVette "Cry Me a River"
16. Jim Sullivan "Plain As Your Eyes Can See"
17. Dr. John "Gris-Gris Gumbo Ya Ya"
Despite the heat here in Ohio we're almost at the end of summer. School is revving back up and things are going to start turning. It's as good of a time as any to stay up late with good folks & good tunes. This mix is definitely leaning towards the cool end of summer nights. Some old familiars (can't go wrong with Sam Cooke), one of my favorite songs of all time (Brenton Wood's "Oogum Boogum Song") and an incredible song I recently discovered thanks to the fantastic Dardenne brothers (Petula Clark's "La nuite n'en finit plus", from which the mix got it's title) among other hard hitters & hip shakers. Call up some friends after hours and get to it.
STREAM at Mixcloud
The cover is cropped photo by Marion Post Walcott titled 'Jitterbugging in Negro juke joint, Saturday evening, outside Clarksdale, Mississippi' from 1939
Saturday, June 21, 2014
01. Lord Cobra y Los Pana Afros "Man on the Moon"
02. Lord Kitchener "Take You' Meat Out Me Rice"
03. Victoria Revolution '73 "Joash Okowa"
04. Charles & Frida Sonko with Orchestra Melo Sucess "Nawuluranga"
05. Andre Denis "Cherie N'aluli Yo"
06. Unknown Artist "Kuda Lumping"
07. Mahmoud Ahmed "Feqer Endègèna"
08. Jo Johnson Swf "Leave It There"
09. Lord Invader "You're Wasting Your Time"
10. Orchestre Poly-Rythmo de Cotonou "Nou De Ma Do Vo"
11. Selda Bağcan "Yaylalar"
12. Aguaturbia "Uno De Estos Dias"
13. Le Stelle di Mario Schifano "E Dopo"
14. The Amboy Dukes "Let's Go Get Stoned"
15. Freedom "Never Loved a Girl"
16. The Kinks "Act Nice & Gentle"
17. Link Wray "Rise & Fall of Jimmy Stokes"
18. Sol Ho'opi'i "I Ain't Got Nobody"
Summer is here and I'm feeling it. My lime tree is finally growing new leaves, the windows are open, and the city feels alive at every corner. Here's a set of sweaty summer tunes to soundtrack it all. You're mostly getting a trip around the world: a handful of calypso from Trinidad, good ol' Jamaica, Uganda, the Congo (always), Benin, Turkey, Indonesia, Chile, and Brazil plus a few great American acts like Ted Nugent's great Amboy Dukes covering Ray Charles' stoner anthem. Hope you feel it, too. Get outside and blast it.
STREAM at Mixcloud
Tuesday, May 13, 2014
01. The Dovers "What Am I Gonna Do?"
02. Tony Allen & the Chimes "Nite Owl"
03. The Flamingos "I Only Have Eyes for You"
04. Abner Jay "I Am Georgia Bound"
05. Getatchew Kassa "Tezeta (Slow)"
06. Blind Willie McTell "Boll Weevil"
07. Joseph Falcon "Lafayette"
08. The Kansas City Six "Pagin' the Devil"
09. Cecil Barfield "Lucy Mae Blues"
10. Brother Theotis Taylor "Somebody's Gone"
11. Josette Dayde et le Quintette du Hot Club de France "Coucou"
12. Sidney Bechet "As-tu le Cafard?"
13. Armandinho "Fado Em Lá Maior"
14. Dave Tarras "Second Avenue Square Dance"
15. Les Paul & Mary Ford "I'm a Fool to Care"
16. L. Winter "The Lord Will Make a Way Somehow"
17. Ted Lucas "It Is So Nice to Get Stoned"
18. Gilberto Gil & Jorge Ben "Quem Mandou"
19. Al Green "Back Up Train"
I'm so glad this is finally done. It sure took me a while. Mostly because I scrapped two other mixes along the way. But now, here it is: an hour of springtime vibes for you. Gypsy jazz, klezmer jazz, ethiopian jazz! A lot of things that aren't jazz at all. L. Winter might as well be the Jamaican Karen Dalton and of course there's plenty of bluesy trips. I hope it treats you well as you drive around with the windows finally down again. It's going to get sweaty again soon so we might as well enjoy the days that aren't raining right now. Get coucou!
STREAM at Mixcloud
The cover image is from a photo by John H. White titled 'South Side Chicago, 1973'
Monday, December 2, 2013
01. George McGregor & the Bronzettes "Temptation is Hard to Fight"
02. Otis Redding "Security"
03. Snooks Eaglin "Nothing Sweet as You"
04. Barbara & the Browns "Please Be Honest with Me"
05. Smiley Lewis "Someday You'll Want Me"
06. Sam Cooke "(What A) Wonderful World"
07. The Nightingales "Just a Little Overcome"
08. Jimmy Hughes "I Stand Accused"
09. Lonnie Johnson "I'll Get Along Somehow"
10. Big Bill Broonzy "Trouble in Mind"
11. Peter Drake & His Talking Steel Guitar "Sleep Walk"
12. Louis Armstrong "La Vie En Rose"
13. Django Reinhardt "Time on My Hands"
14. Paul Clayton "Who's Gonna Buy You Ribbons (When I'm Gone)"
15. Elvis Presley "That's When Your Heartaches Begin"
16. Billie Holiday "(I Don't Stand a) Ghost of a Chance"
17. Teddy Wilson "Don't Blame Me"
18. Dinah Washington "Embraceable You"
19. Henry Hall & the Gleneagles Hotel Band "Home"
20. Baden Powell "Round About Midnight"
21. Vashti Bunyan "Winter is Blue"
22. John Jacob Niles "Go 'Way from My Window"
23. Kid Ory's Creole Jazz Band "A Closer Walk with Thee"
STREAM at Mixcloud
The cold months are certainly upon us. Thanksgiving has passed and now it's a time of hibernation. Pull the chairs in from the porch and start reading wrapped in blankets. I'll be damned if six o'clock doesn't feel like about midnight these days. I hope this mix brings ya a little warmth. It's heavy on the blue soul and jazzy twists this time. I tried to avoid outright winter themed songs and stick with things that feel like winter but there's just no denying that Vashti tune. Also, you might recognize track two as being the same song from the last mix (that time spun out by Thane Russal & Three) but this time we've got the original tune from Otis Redding. They both stand on their own and have their time and place. It just so happens that winter is a good time for Otis.
A big mug of yerba mate with mint and a touch of honey will make even the most terrible cold day a little bit better.
Note: The cover is from the New York Tribune, 1905
Sunday, November 3, 2013
01. Them "I Put a Spell On You"
02. Screamin' Jay Hawkins "I'm Lonely"
03. Bill Coleman "St. James Infirmary"
04. Landy McNeil "Move It (Move On)"
05. Link Wray "Fire & Brimstone"
06. Lightnin' Hopkins "Black Ghost Blues"
07. The Everly Brothers "Maybe Tomorrow"
08. Wayne, Pat & Keith "I'm Tired of You Satan"
09. Skeeter Davis "My Last Date"
10. Mickey & Sylvia "Love is Strange"
11. Charlie Feathers "Can't Hardly Stand It"
12. Shivers "The Devil's Pad"
13. Lee Moses "Bad Girl, Part 2"
14. Thane Russal & Three "Security"
15. One Way Streets "We All Love Peanut Butter"
16. The Bachs "You're Mine"
17. Distortions "Can You Tell"
18. Slapp Happy "Karen"
19. Homegas "It's Time"
20. Townes Van Zandt "Be Here to Love Me"
21. The Rolling Stones "Dead Flowers"
22. Lee Hazlewood & Ann-Margaret "Am I That Easy to Forget?"
23. Kathleen McPeake "Eileen Aroon"
STREAM at Mixcloud
Well, we're running out of those beautiful fall days. It's getting colder and the trees are starting to look bare. This mix has a selection of songs that will sound good over the blow of the heat in your car. A little dark, a little sexy, a little spooky and I hope a lot of fun. It's a bit more upbeat than the last with some punky rips from guys like Thane Russal and One Way Streets though it's still got it's share of bummer folk (all hail TVZ).
Enjoy a cup of coffee and a cigar on the porch while you still can. Listen to this when you come inside.
Note: The cover is from a photo by William Strode
Wednesday, August 14, 2013
01. John Jacob Niles "John Henry"
02. Molly Drake "Happiness"
03. Julie Bo "Sø Momon"
04. Vashti Bunyan "I'd Like To Walk Around In Your Mind"
05. Connie Converse "How Sad, How Lovely"
06. Asa Irons & Swann Miller "How Sad, How Lovely"
07. Tiny Tim "Alice Blue Gown"
08. Bob Desper "Let It Shine For You"
09. Sharon Van Etten "I Wish I Knew"
10. John Fahey "Requiem for John Hurt"
11. Monarch Jazz Quartet of Norfolk "What's the Matter Now?"
12. Bo Carter "Baby, How Can It Be?"
13. Hank Williams "Thy Burdens Are Greater Than Mine"
14. Leonard Cohen "I Tried to Leave You"
15. Angel Olsen & Marissa Nadler "My Dreams Have Withered & Died"
16. Michael Hurley "The Tea Song"
17. Charley Patton "Jim Lee, Pt. 1"
STREAM at Mixcloud
A little premature, sure, but I couldn't wait to toss this one up. Nothing beats creek-side fires, blankets and mulled wine warmed by the flames. I could go on for days about all the reasons I love fall. Music is certainly a big player and I've already played this mix to death. It's not a Halloween mix, but it's definitely got it's share of ghosts. John Jacob Niles is as close as you're going to get to hearing a voice from beyond, Julie Bo is straight from a dream, Fahey's 'Requiem for John Hurt' nearly conjures up the man himself, and though I'm not a fan of Nick Drake, damned if his mother Molly doesn't give me chills. This isn't all one-way road though, you'll still get a little fun from folks like Tiny Tim (yes, that Tiny Tim), Monarch Jazz Quartet of Norfolk, and my favorite dirty bluesman, Bo Carter (being sweet for once!).
This time, it's bourbon, neat, and lots of it.
Note: The cover is taken from a photo by William Eggleston
Sunday, August 4, 2013
01. Pete 'Guitar' Lewis "Ooh Midnight"
02. Dee Clark "Blues Get Off of My Shoulder"
03. Roy Gaines "Black Gal"
04. Sun Ra & His Myth Science Arkestra "The Blue Set"
05. Missionary Marnie Sample "This May Be the Last Time"
06. The Moonglows "Tempting"
07. Sister Rosetta Tharpe "Jericho"
08. The 5 Royales "I'm on the Right Road Now"
09. Jacky Lee "Misery"
10. Donna Loren "So, Do the Zonk"
11. Ural Thomas & the Monterays "Deep Within My Heart"
12. F.J. McMahon "One Alone Together"
13. The West Coast Pop Art Experimental Band "I Won't Hurt You"
14. King Solomon "I Got to Move"
15. The Fabulous Rumbles "The Echoing Past"
16. Southland Missionary Singers "Ain't it Sweet"
17. O.V. Wright with The Keys "That's How Strong My Love Is"
18. Lee Hazlewood with Duane Eddy & His Orchestra "The Girl on Death Row"
19. Papa Celestin's New Orleans Band "Marie LaVeau"
STREAM at Mixcloud
Well, summer is nearly over and soon the temperature is going to start dropping. This mix is for those first nights of having the windows open after a long hot day. Upbeat and a little dirty (the moaning opening track from Pete 'Guitar' Lewis - the man who gave us "Hound Dog" - surely sets a mood) though it's also got it's fair share of foot-stomping, thunder-cracking religious vibes from folks like Sister Rosetta Tharpe and Missionary Marnie Sample. You'll also find yet another rendition of 'In the Pines', this time from Roy Gaines (who later, like Pete 'Guitar' Lewis, played with Big Mama Thornton), a howling dirge tribute to the Voodoo Queen Marie LaVeau from Papa Celestin & Co., and one of my favorite songs of all time: 'The Girl on Death Row' from Lee Hazlewood backed by Duane Eddy & His Orchestra.
Pour yourself a nice negroni and open the windows. The heat's breaking.
Note: Artwork is taken from a photo by Robert Frank
Sunday, May 19, 2013
01. S.E. Rogie "Do Me Justice"
02. Franco "Anduku Lutshuma"
03. Mayor's Dance Band "Bere Bote"
04. The Ethiopians "The Whip"
05. Lord Beginner with Atilla the Hun "Women Are Good & Women Are Bad"
06. Pa Steel's African Brothers "Odo Mmera"
07. Alèmayèhu Eshèté "Ayalqem Tèdenqo"
08. Lord Kitchener "Muriel & De Bug"
09. The Faboulous Flames "Holly Holy"
10. Clarence Garlow "Bon Ton Rula"
11. Carmen Miranda "South American Way"
12. Duke Reid "Sure Shot"
13. Laurent Lomande "Elisa"
14. Bob Andy "I've Got to Go Back Home"
15. Blind Blake "Brown Skin Gal/Mary Ann"
16. Jean Bosco Mwenda "Masanga"
17. Jimmy Lee Williams "Hoot Your Belly, Give Your Backbone Ease"
18. Alkibar Gignor "Kaounare"
19. Roaring Lion "Ugly Woman"
STREAM at Mixcloud
Just under an hour of warm weather tunes from around the world. A mix of calypso and various African musical styles with a few dashes of "other" for good measure. I apologize to the ladies for the Roaring Lion and the Lord Beginner/Atilla the Hun tracks but I swear they're real hipshakers! The title of this mix comes from a zydeco song by the Segura Brothers that ended up not working with the rest of the mix but that is still well worth a listen on it's own.
Stir up a Pimm's Cup and drag some speakers outside. It's getting hot out there.
Note: The cover image is taken from a photo in the National Archive of 35th St. in Chicago, 1973
Saturday, April 6, 2013
01. Sidney Bechet "Si Tu Vois Ma Mère"
02. Lonnie Johnson & Elmer Snowden "How Deep is the Ocean?"
03. Matelot Ferret et Son Quartette "Djoungalo"
04. Art Tatum with Tiny Grimes & Slam Stewart "I Ain't Got Nobody"
05. Big Bill Broonzy "In the Evenin'"
06. Henry Spaulding "Cairo Blues"
07. Django Reinhardt "Ric et Pussy"
08. Louis Armstrong "Two Deuces"
09. Joe Turner "S.K. Blues (Parts 1 & 2)"
10. Leadbelly "In the Pines"
11. Snooks Eaglin "Helping Hand"
12. Elyse Weinberg with Neil Young "House"
13. Paul Clayton "Green Rocky Road"
14. Joe Tex "Hold What You've Got"
15. Johnny Ace "Pledging My Love"
16. Buddy Lucas "No Help"
17. Koko Joe & the Job Hunters "Depression"
18. Professor Longhair "In the Night"
19. Townes Van Zandt "Delta Momma Blues"
20. Suzie Jane Hokom with Lee Hazlewood "Alone"
21. Duane Eddy "Mona Lisa"
22. Ben Harper "I Can't Take It No Longer"
23. Big Daddy Simpsons "Someday Baby"
24. Michael Hurley "Sweedeedee"
25. Emahoy Tsegue Mariam Gebru "The Last Tears of the Deceased"
STREAM at Mixcloud
Note: The cover is from a photo from the Library of Congress of a Slave Cabin at Arundel Plantation in Georgtown, SC